Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Things to Do with Momma List

It seems that being home with the kids all day that I would get plenty of one on one attention with all of them. For my home, this is not the case. Because they are ALL home with me, it is sometimes hard to give each one some meaningful conversation. At times I lay my head down at night and think did I even really play with Charlie today or talk to Bobbi about things besides "school"? Yes, when we run errands I take just one or grocery shop with just one but I wanted something different. A time where they could open up and share something or just hug. This worked for my Cooper awhile back. You know when a kid is sometimes acting out they really just need attention from YOU!!! He wrote down some things he likes to do with me. Whenever I had some time, usually afternoon, I would call him over and do something on his list. Playing cards or reading a book for 10 minutes. No one could interrupt us!!! He not only started acting better but he was more helpful, happier, talked more, etc. It did wonders!!! So, today, I had all the kids write or draw the things they like to do with me. Do-able things. Things that do not cost money and can be done easily. Basically, they are telling me their love language!!! Each one is so different. They do not get this "list time" every day but we try! On these days my heart is full. And on the days when there is no time for anything but pure busyness, these times spill over and they are more content. They keep their Momma List in a special spot in their room. It not only makes them feel special it makes me feel really special to be their momma. My word, they have a list of things they want to do with ME! My prayer is that as they get to be teenagers and adults they will still want to do things with me. They will know that I will always make time for them to talk, laugh, cry, pray, whatever it may be. And as the years go by, I am sure that fencing (he told me that was playing swords) won't be on one of their lists! I will miss that.

3 comments:

4funnyboys said...

Just what I need to do and will do tomorrow...Preston's love tank has been a little empty so this would be a great list activity for all the kids especially him....your post is great timing for me! Thanks!!! Everyone is a bit neglected here...but getting refocused!!

Unknown said...

oh, how i love this! i was so glad when you shared it with me a while back - thanks for putting it "out there" for us all!

Jill said...

great idea...I am going to have my kids make their lists today.