Thursday, March 12, 2009

Field Trip

Spoonbill
Eastern Brown Pelican


Ava with her blue jay

American White Pelican #35



the beach entrance.....
Bobbi Marie is running track at Indian Rocks. A friend at the school asked her what she does for field trips. Bobbi says, I really don't do any! (yikes, did she really say that!!!) She said we do go to Busch Gardens, Epcot and Disney World. Oh great!! I said you have to count Heritage Village, Civil War days, strawberry picking, etc. But, I think she wanted a "real" field trip. So, this morning we got in the car and headed off to the Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary with our notebooks in hand. The kids had to write down their favorite birds or draw and then we would review more when we got home. The place was crowded!!!! We had a great morning and not one of us was pooped on!!!! We saw the little hospital where all the injured go. We got to see a sweet red shoulder hawk. The white pelicans were a hoot!!! I forgot how large they are. Number 35 was our favorite!!! We did collect some shells, visited the gift store and learned that they are training volunteers March 21 in baby bird handling and rescuing birds. Certificate when completed. Maybe I have found my calling. The Homeschool Rescue Group!!!! When we got home, we found this cool site (www.birds.cornell.edu) that had cool facts on the birds that were our favorites and even had their sounds, they even have a nest cam box (right now it is in a blue jay's nest and a horned owl's). I told Bobbi Marie to make sure she tells her little friend that we went on a field trip today!!!!!




3 comments:

Jill said...

we love that place...except that Macie usually ends up gagging from the smell!:) That was one of my favorite spots to take friends/family when they were visiting us.

Brenda @ Tie That Binds Us said...

How close to St. Pete is this place? I'd like to go...Looks like you had a great time! I love that you took it further and continued to look stuff up at home and really turned it into a nice lesson. Thanks for sharing!

4funnyboys said...

That is a place we have not been! Going to study birds and flying creatures in the near future so I will have to make sure this is on the list! Looks like fun!