Friday, September 24, 2010

Stufffed animals and Cell phones

I have always loved seasonal banners.
And tacky things that hang down. Today Charlie and I were at Walmart. I love to walk down the Halloween aisle. I love crepe paper pumpkins (even though they did not have any), window ghost decals, fuzzy spider webs with glittery spiders. What can I say except that I think it is really cute. I came home with these few things. Bobbi's birthday is coming up and I always decorate Halloween for her. It is just part of her birthday celebration! Really this post has nothing to do with Halloween decorating but has all to do with her getting another year older. Warning - people who love technology better stop reading. Whenever I have to go "buy" for my soon to be 14 year old I am just shocked at what people spend money on for KIDS! Distracting, no good kinda stuff. Society says that it is safer, have to have necessities (cell phone) but I just think it is bologna. I think college age is a better idea for cell phones. Cell phones are not connecting anyone. When a kid gets off the bus he doesn't need to text his mom 5 times to tell her he is o.k. Where is the trusted adult, grandma, uncle, friend, anyone there just picking up the kid and bringing them home? That trusted adult would talk to the kid, how was your day kinda thing. Normal stuff, normal conversation. Even commercials the "kids" are saying they need a phone because mom would like to hear their voice. Are you kidding? Why do you need a phone for mom to hear their voice. If the kid is gone that much then there are other problems. People's faces are buried in their phone. It is such an addiction and everyone is on board. I am trying to get moving on the new times, the new tech era. I just think this mom (me) has no need for all that stuff. And to be honest, most people don't need all that stuff. It would make family life richer, sweeter, better, to be connected face to face. ***So, all that to say****.....we got Bobbi a cell phone, with texting, for her birthday. That is a shock! Bobby and I both upgraded our phones (partly because they were free). I am going to have a hard time giving up my original Nokia. I am just not thrilled, at all. As I was standing in t-mobile, I just couldn't grasp how much money people pay out for phones, unlimited texting, online, garmin, you name it. And then casually people just loose their $100-200 phones or that phone breaks! Yikes. I am just not good with all this stuff. I am some old person in a 37 year old body. I have about 1 week to look happy when she opens up her gift. I would have much rather gotten her a stuffed unicorn and candy. My dad always got me stuffed animals. The last gift he gave me was a pink poodle. I love it. It is nothing I needed (who needs a pink poodle) but he wasn't an extravagent gift giver. One of the things I LOVED about him. Simple gifts, simple times, simple life. Some would say, "Oh another stuffed animal, I would never." But then the same person goes and buys some electronic, game or new app. The kid would be better off with a stuffed animal if you ask me! Enough of me rambling on and on about cell phones and stuffed animals. There I feel a little better getting all that out. Just because, I will still get her something sweet and loveable to go with her new phone. In the long run, it will be the sweet and loveable gift she will remember.

No comments: