Saturday, February 6, 2010

President Jingle

It all started with a presidential placemat. I have had this placemat for years. I just recently told the kids that we needed a new one because it does not have Obama on it. It is the plastic placemat that you buy at Walmart. We also have ones with the states, alphabet, sharks etc. You get the idea. I have always used these for the kids, since Bobbi was a baby! Charlie loves the presidents. Just about 2 weeks ago I decided to start teaching him the presidents while he is eating breakfast. Then I started singing a song to help him remember the presidents. Bobby says it's so bad, it's good. I agree with the it's so bad part. I took it one step further and decided to add some facts about each president to my little jingle. I am only on the 11th president, and there are 44! Not sure if I will be getting around to all 44 but if I did I could have a little booth set up at the homeschool convention :) !! Just like the rappers that sing about the states. Funny thing is, we are not even studying presidents at all. We are in the reformation! I guess I am giving them a heads up for next year and the year after. And it all started with a placemat at breakfast and a little 4 year old that can tell you the presidents in order up till about #7.
Here is a little sample of my work. ( To the tune of If you are Happy and you know it)
-
George Washington was the 1st president of the United States (clap, clap)
His wife's name was Martha - isn't that great! (clap, clap)
His portrait is on the dollar bill
and the quarter, even still
Oh!, George Washington was the 1st president of the United States (clap, clap)
-
John Adams was the 2nd president of the United States (clap, clap)
he negotiated the Treaty of Paris in 1783 (clap, clap)
It ended the American Revolution
But he never stopped pollution
Oh!, John Adams was the 2nd president of the United States (clap, clap)
-
Thomas Jefferson was the 3rd president of the United States (clap, clap)
He authored the Declaration of Independence - isn't that great!
He purchased Louisiana from France
I think I will do a little dance (then do a little dance)
Oh!, Thomas Jefferson was the 3rd president of the United States (clap, clap)
-
I do realize much of it doesn't rhyme. BUT we sure did have fun putting it together and then singing it and clapping with it. I mean, come on, who can have fun learning about the presidents? If there is a particular president that you need to remember just let me know! We still remember our jingle for photosynthesis. That is all I am saying! It works.

No comments: