This is a prayer that General Douglas MacArthur prayed for his son. Read this slowly, it's so good. -
Build me a son, O Lord, who will be strong enough to know when he is weak, and brave enough to face himself when he is afraid; one who will be proud and unbending in honest defeat, and humble and gentle in victory.
-
Build me a son whose wishbone will not be where his backbone should be; a son who will know Thee and that to know himself is the foundation stone of knowledge.
-
Lead him, I pray, not in the path of ease and comfort, but under the stress and spur of difficulties and challenge. Here let him learn to stand up in the storm; here let him learn compassion for those who fail.
-
Build me a son whose heart will be clean, whose goal will be high; a son who will master himself before he seeks to master other men; one who will learn to laugh, yet never forget how to weep; one who will reach into the future, yet never forget the past.
-
And after all these things are his, add, I pray, enough of a sense of humor, so that he may always be serious, yet never take himself too seriously. Give him humility, so that he may always remember the simplicity of greatness, the open mind of true wisdom, the meekness of true strength.
-
Then I, his father, will dare to whisper, "I have not lived in vain."
-
One of the best words of advice about rearing your kids, curriculum, discipline, all that good stuff, was to rear your kids in the Lord and send them into this world as soldiers for Christ. I read this prayer (this morning) and it is just another reminder to steer my kids towards the cross. Later this morning, I read this to my kids. First, I just read it. Then I went back and somewhat explained what it meant. At the end of our little talk, I said, now this is my prayer for you. The General just happened to say it a lot better than I could. I do realize my kids think I am a little over their heads at times :) I just want them to know how MUCH I want them to live for the Lord, to not be ashamed. I will still read them too deep of stuff. I will still get teary eyed as I am reading it. One day they will understand, or they will just think I am a little loopy!
-
No comments:
Post a Comment