

Yesterday we were all at Bobbi's first track meet. If you have never been to a track meet, they are VERY long. The little kids love to go because all they do is play. Of course, there are lots of other kids who play right along side of them. We usually are the ones who brings some type of ball. I always prep my kids about what not to touch (school equipment) and be nice to the other kids. To remember the "
LaBrant Rules" and they don't apply to everyone, just them. There are always little situations that happen, not a big deal (at all), but we talk about who said what, who they met, or what someone said that was naughty! I love those opportunities to just lay out there what and why we do what we do. Even if it is different. Even if another kid is allowed to say a certain word, we don't. All that good stuff. Well, they were playing soccer. This other boy stole the ball from Ava (
whoopy!) and then says "SUCKER!" with his hands like a peace sign in front of his chest (he was in her "personal space"). They told me that he did that in the car. They confirmed they are not allowed to say that word. And then I did confirm they are not allowed to do those hand motions while saying that word :) We get home and we are eating such a late dinner. Ava tells me again what the boy said to her. I said stop saying that so we can stop thinking about it. Charlie, you know, loves to just repeat, repeat, repeat words! Then Cooper says, "After he said that to her, I told him to get away from her and to never say that again. It isn't nice!" My heart started beaming!!!! I said what did you say? He told me again. I just was so proud of Cooper for sticking up for his little sister. And sticking up for her in such a great way. I praised him for that and said how proud I was of him. They kept on playing but there were new boundaries. I KNOW Cooper would thump any boy that went after his sister. I always tell my kids, the way you treat each other in front of your friends is how your friends will treat them. If you treat your sisters/brothers with disrespect, it is like giving your friends permission to treat them with disrespect. It is something we always are working on, but it something that is very important to our family. There will be no more peace signs, with a thump on a chest (in front of Ava), if Cooper has anything to do with it. And what is up with Sucker??!!
1 comment:
That's so cute how Cooper stuck up for Ava. Another reason why I REALLY want a sibling or two. LOL
Post a Comment