What does family life look like?
Being like minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant. Phil. 2:2-7
Someone has said that civilization is an exercise in self restraint. My daughter and I lived with a jungle people considered highly uncivilized by outsiders, yet on the very first evening of our arrival they gave us all they had to give - a house, wood for fire, water, and a supper of fish and manioc. In our two years there I learned a great deal from their example of self-restraint. With no idea of "etiquette" they were kind, generous, peaceful, easy to live with. I never heard them complain. There were no words in jungle languages for please, thank you, and you're welcome. This always left a sort of hole in the conversation to me, please having been one of the first words I learned as a baby, and the other expressions soon after. I was used to acknowledging others' kindness.
(All of the above from a book that is in my top FAVE books, The Shaping of a Christian Family by Elisabeth Elliot. )
Family, working together, loving each other, giving to other's needs. I thought that this was right on. Jungle "language" didn't even have our manner words being please and thank you. BUT they had love. They treated each other with kindness. Have you ever been around a kid, or an adult for that matter, and they get the please and thank you out of their mouth only to be pushy and rude. Just the other day we were at a fast food rest. play area (I know, super dirty and gross) and this little kid (maybe 4) came up to Cooper and said, "please get off now, it is my turn. Off now!" I laughed, Cooper kinda chuckled and got off just because. I thought, what a rude little boy! Yes, he said please but he was not kind. There is more to being kind than just saying please and thank you. Don't you agree? Anyways…...
I checked this book out from the church library. I renewed it and then upon the return of it, I was so sad to give it up I started copying pages from the book. After all that, I finally ordered my own copy from Amazon and I am making Bobbi Marie read this as one of her books for Bible class. Lots of Bible passages, lots of encouragement to keep on keepin' on.
1 comment:
can't wait to get that book!
Post a Comment