Luke 6:20-23 Then Jesus turned to his disciples and said, "God blesses you who are poor, for the kingdom of God is given to you. God blesses you who are hungry now, for you will be satisfied. God blesses you who weep now, for the time will come when you will laugh with joy. God blesses you who are hated and excluded and mocked and cursed because you are identified with me, the Son of Man. "When that happens, rejoice! Yes, leap for joy! For a great reward awaits you in heaven. And remember, the ancient prophets were also treated that way by your ancestors.
I have to share something. My brother for months has been asking me to join him in street evangelism. My brother is soooo shy. I just couldn't believe he had the guts to walk up to people and share his faith - on the street. Then he told me he was a group leader for the night. What? So, I finally said I would go. I wanted to experience what was making him so happy. Wow. What a night. It is long. We met at the church and the group prays and sings praise, worship music for about an hour. What a wonderful time, examining my heart, giving everything over to God. This is preparation for seeking His Will before we hit the streets of the city. So, this is what went down :) I started getting really nervous. There were about 4 groups of 8 people each. I was with this amazing, young man who LOVES the LORD! It is all over his face, no lie. The first people we meet are 2 teenage couples on a "date". Hip, Hop, Harry kind of people. Super "cool" kinda people. Our leader (not my brother) asks their names and starts talking about what would happen when they die. Three out of the 4 say they don't know. The other guy says he believes he would go to heaven. Our leader asks, "Why?" The answer was what almost what everyone said that night. "Because I am a good person". Our group leader, Josh, went on to explain the plan of salvation. That all of us are sinners, that Jesus came to save us and take away our sins. If we die and never repent of our sins, and ask Jesus to come into our hearts and lives and live for Him, that no matter how "good" we are, we will not be in heaven. The crazy thing about this conversation is this….3 of the 4 kids we are talking to are really not even listening. But this 1 guy, is really listening. He takes the tract and moves on. The next group we meet is on this super busy street corner, there is a restaurant there. Someone handed a tract to a person and got yelled at. I mean, lectured at. It kinda deflated me quickly. It was amazing to just see people for who they are. To see people for how LOST they are. I was able to talk to someone about the Lord. He was an older guy that said he was catholic and gave money to the church. He said he couldn't answer our questions because he wasn't really all that smart. But he was sure he was going to heaven because God chose him, he didn't need to choose God. He let us pray with him. That night changed me. First of all, it made me realize just how lost people are. It made me realize that most people are concerned about what will happen when they die. It made me realize that the biggest answer out there is that they are A- O.K. because they are good people. I am telling you, the world wouldn't be so evil if everyone was as good as they say they are! Yes, it is a little awkward, but it shouldn't be. The way people look at you as if you have a third eye. Some are down right mean, some are o.k. I think one person was nice. But for the whole night, not one person had an answer that would get them to heaven. It helps being around a group of people who are so passionate about the Lord and so passionate about the lost in their own town. The Bible says if we are shunned because we share our faith that we will receive an award in heaven. Look at verse 23 up above. We have no excuses to not be BOLD for the Lord and live a little uncomfortable for His name to be shared. I have challenged myself, and my kids, to be more bold and share with people about the Good News. I am now reading a book by Mark Cahill called One Thing You Can't Do In Heaven. Of course that one thing is telling others about Jesus. God is amazing, He gives us an answer for death - heaven! I want to share this with more people. I would love to encourage other believers to not only live a life that is for God but to share your faith right where you are at. Seize every opportunity to ask someone about where they think they are going when they die. It is quite interesting what people will say! I will be back to join that street evangelism group. If anyone wants to join me, let me know!
No comments:
Post a Comment