Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Service

I am still reading lots of the "encouraging books" I bought at the homeschool convention. This little quote in a book of prayers made me think of this little, old"er" lady I met the first time I went to the convention years ago. She told me that motherhood is a journey that you loose yourself for awhile in order to serve and teach your children. This act of self-LESSness is their first look at what it means to be a servant for Christ. In all things and situations we are to have a heart like Christs. Which by all means was a servant's heart. Motherhood is an opportunity to reflect His image in our own home. It is an opportunity to mold little ones to do big things, for a leader must learn first how to serve. It is full circle. So, when "me" time is non-existent, count it as joy. When you awake in the morning and for some reason you are still tired, count it as joy. When you make meals and do the dishes, count it as joy. Your example of service carries with it the example that Jesus had here on earth. Motherhood = Service So, I though I would share this little short "encouraging" poem.

SERVICE

Lord of all pots and pans and things
since I've no time to be
A saint by doing lovely things,
or watching late with Thee,
Or dreaming in the dawnlight,
or storming heaven's gates,
Make me a saint by getting meals,
and washing up the plates.

Although I must have Martha's hand,
I have a Mary's mind;
And when I black the boots and shoes,
Thy sandals, Lord, I find,
I think of how they trod the earth,
each time I scrub the floor;
Accept this meditation, Lord,
I haven't time for more.

Warm all the kitchen with Thy love,
and light it with Thy peace,
Forgive me all my worrying,
and make all grumbling cease.
Thou who didst love to give me food,
in room or by sea,
Accept this service that I do -
I do it unto thee.

Author Unknown

2 comments:

Christy said...

Tami, I know you from church (and I think I remember you from KCS?) but we've never officially met yet. I stumbled on your blog through someone else's, and I just want to thank you for this post. I needed to hear this today. We are just beginning our homeschooling journey and this was a big encouragement to me - THANKS! :)

Sarah said...

Any prayer that has the words "grumbling cease" in it, has to be one I need!!!
I love it.
And your girls have AWESOME hair! Brady Bunch hair! Jealousy!