Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Toy Story

O.K. Today we saw Toy Story 3. Ahhh.....so sweet. I love the whole idea of capturing childhood and somehow preserving it. It makes me sad to think one day I will not see little one's running around playing babies, barbies, trucks, "guys" (as cooper would call it), stuffed animals lined up for tea, swords strung throughout the house, fake food on the floor. Man, the stuff that we hate to pick up is the stuff I am truly going to miss. In a book that I have by James Dobson he says, "The day is coming when the bicycle tires would be flat, the skateboard would be warped and standing in the garage, the swing set would be still, and the beds would not be slept in. We will go through Christmas with no stockings hanging by the fireplace, and the halls will be very quiet." He goes on to say, "Don't permit yourselves to become discouraged with the responsibilities of parenting. Yes, it is an exhausting and difficult assignment and there are times when you will feel like throwing in the towel. But I beg you to stay the course! Get on your knees before the Lord and ask daily for His strength and wisdom. Finish the job to which He has called you! There is no more important task in living, and you will understand that assignment more clearly when your children are grown. In the blink of an eye, you will be hugging your children goodbye and returning to an empty house. You will pause for a moment to utter a prayer that the values and lessons you've imparted over the years have taken root in your sons and daughters and that they will bear fruit for the kingdom for the rest of their lives." This silly little movie made me really think about my young kids. To enjoy them, treasure them, play with them, kiss them, teach them. Before I know it, this journey will end. And I will NOT be as strong as Andy's mother was in the movie. That is for sure!

3 comments:

Champion Builders said...

I really needed this message. thanks, Tami

Jill said...

That was great!!!

Christy said...

You are so great with these encouraging reminders! Thanks so much!