Thursday, September 10, 2009

Good Books

Love these two books. I especially love them together. My friend, Jill (thanks Jill), suggested Created for Work last year to me. Then at the homeschool convention, this stranger went on and on about the other book. Thought I would give it a whirl. Love them both! First of all, the Created for Work says for young men but I read it aloud to all of my kids. In the intro, Mr. Schultz states that we've lost the importance of work as a most effective tutor. What is the good of knowing how to read or write if a young man (or woman) doesn't have the heart to work, to produce and to create? Personally, that is something I see over and over again. Smart, really smart, kids graduating from high school, then college and there they are. It seems it is too much work to go get work. To finally get a job means you will have to actually work! It is reality that so many young people just can't face. It is a great book that attempts to express a biblical perspective of work and the richness of life it brings. The other book, Common Sense Business for Kids by Kathryn Daniels, is small. Common sense is not so "common" after all! Many people think they have common sense, but they don't. And really, when it comes down to it, they just don't think. I am all over having a formal education, learning as much as you can, then using it and merging it with common sense (experiences and observation). So, with all that being said, these are two really great books for kids and they do work very well together!! My prayer is that my children love the Lord with all their heart and work passionately to what the Lord wants for their lives. All this other stuff, I pray, are vehicles to help them get there.

No comments: