From the book, Polite Moments by Gary and Cathy Maldaner……
Go out of Your Way to Find Ways to Help Others
Become to others what they need, for the cause of Jesus Christ. Always have the attitude of, "What can I do to help this person?" "How could the Lord use me in this person's life?" Be eager and willing to comfort someone, carry groceries, open doors, rake leaves, shovel snow, wash windows, etc. Have no thought of receiving gain for yourself - whether in money or praise. Try to put yourself in another's place, and unselfishly give of yourself. Phil. 2:4.
First of all, my kids would never know how to shovel snow, they would be rolling in it and asking themselves, "What is this?" Besides shoveling snow, this is something that is very close to my heart. I want my kids to grow up knowing what it means to serve others. Weaving this trait into every single day. At home, with their siblings, it is probably the toughest. But, I keep at it. If they have a great soccer game, scored the winning goal, and then remember to pick up the trash off of the field (without being asked). Holy cow! The winning goal becomes secondary to the trash pick up. If we have a great running result and she shares with me that she prayed with a couple of girls before a race! Holy cow! The run was great but the prayer is extraordinary. Get my point? Now that I have an older child in sports, I am around people who are a little consumed with the sport. I am quick to say, this sport does not define her or him. Their heart, character is who they are. The sport gives them more opportunities to grow and serve others. Thank God continually for the blessings of that sport. It is never who they are. God has given us so many opportunities to serve. Teaching our kids to go out of their way and look for these opportunities is something they can carry with them for the rest of their lives. The funny thing is, when they start doing these things, their hearts feel good. You know what I mean? In the begining they appreciate the, "Good job!" or "I am so proud of you for helping," but then they want to do it. Opening doors, picking up trash, saying thank you more…..it feels good to be nice. It is just plain 'ol being polite :)
No comments:
Post a Comment