Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sunday Brunch



We may not look fancy, but the meal and dishes are to be fancy. I have wanted to do this for so long and today was the first Sunday that it happened. O.K., this is what I mean...I remember "big meals" on Sunday growing up, mostly after church. It was food, then lots of rest. I have very fond memories of my Sunday afternoons after church. Sorta "observing the Sabbath" kinda thing. My attempt to make this work is, Saturday night make or plan out the meal for Sunday. It has to be something that is ready when we get home from church. So a slow cooker would be involved or like today, we had a breakfast, sausage casserole. I made it last night and it was in the fridg all night. All I had to do was pop it in the oven for 30 minutes after church. During that time the girls and I set the table with my Dad's glass dishes. Cooper and Charlie cut flowers from the garden and put them in vases. The girls lit candles, folded napkins over the forks...it was fun. We had hot cocoa for the glass mugs and they even had glass water cups for their iced water (they never have that, always plastic). Granted the glass water cups had smurfs on them, I realize if I keep this up it will be fun to find fancy serving dishes etc. for our Sunday brunches. I hand washed my Dad's dishes and Bobbi dried them. We got to think and talk about him for a little bit today. That part of Sunday will be nice, using his dishes for our special meal. I miss him. This was something my Grandmother, his mother did every day. Every meal was special. It has just taken me a little longer to catch on. And I am only starting with one "fancy" day. Sunday, it is God's day. And I think being together, praying together, talking together is just another way of honoring Him.

5 comments:

Jill said...

How fun! Love your miss matched pot holders!!:) hee hee What a great new tradition to start in your home!!

Tami said...

Notice I said it is supposed to be fancy. There is not really one fancy thing in my kitchen, yes, not even matching pot holders!!!

4funnyboys said...

yay! you did it! brunch looks so fun! back to the thrift store for more "fancy" kitchen stuff. to add to your sweet dad's collection.
now go pick up your camera. do it. the kids'll be patient for you. figure out where your "menu" is. now got to "time/date stamp" or something like it. do it! turn it to "off." then smack me for being so bossy. love you! good job blog queen!

4funnyboys said...

oops! that was angela that posted that - i am logged into tracy's blog to help her update it. sorry trace! oooohh i could cause some real trouble here!

Tami said...

Angela, that is so funny. At first I was thinking, "that's Tracy ?..." So glad you cleared that up :)!!!! Yes, that date has got to bug my real photographer friend...!!! I have never seen that on any of your pics. I will figure it out just for you!!